Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Commencing another project

Am I glutton for punishment or do I just like to have too much too do?  This is a question that I need to ask myself often and most times I don't know the answer.

If you have been following my previous posts you will be familiar with  our reforestation project but we have now decided to expand this.  I have been referred to an organization  called Grupo de Acción Interdisciplinaria Ambienta A.C. (GAIA) that is working to improve the watershed management of the lands in Guanajuato.  This referral came from the el Charco del Ingenio jardín botánico and has continued to open my eyes to the groups that are working to enhance the lands, waters and plants around San Miguel de Allende.

I met with Ata who is one of the leaders of this group about how they can help me address some of my erosion problems as well as to enhance the arroyo that runs along the east side of my rancho.  They have started to identify a plan that I will be able to implement that uses simple techniques to reduce the erosion and to ensure the sanctuary of the arroyos.  I am sure that this project will also take several years to implement do to time and money issues, but it is amazing that there are so many organizations like GAIA and INIFAP around here that are trying to do great things but are restricted due to the lack of funding.

However this is not the only part of this new project that I am looking at.  As Ata and I talked it seems like there is a real need to try to educate and provide eco-friendly landscaping tools and supplies, such as drip irrigation and compost producing tools.  Thus we are investigating the potential of starting an import business to bring these products into Mexico and to try to educate the residence of the benefit of organic gardening and the use of drip irrigation.  I am investigating the various hassles that this will require to set up and to try to estimate what the investment that will be required.  And here I thought I was only going to be working on our rancho, boy was I mistaken.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hola Jon,

Reads like it is a worth while project. Try to save some time for some fun in the sun!
John Calypso