Sunday, July 16, 2006

Vonage Customer Service Sucks!

I know that the purpose of this blog is to present visual images and to describe the joys and difficulties of living in Mexico. So this one may be a little off base, but Vonage provides us our telephone service with a US number so friends and family can call us regularly. I have been a
subscriber of Vonage for almost three years and have been happy with the service. In fact, I would say that I have recommended five to six people to become subscribers of Vonage.

However, over the past week I have been ready to scream at them. Last weekend my Vonage router started to fail. I spent almost all day Monday on the phone with them talking to their
customer service group in India but could not get anywhere close to getting the service back up and running. Then at the end of each call, the tech rep would try to sell me more services, phone lines, new products, etc. I could not believe what I was hearing. Here I was a customer with a non-functional product and they want to sell me more and new services, I am sorry but I don’t get it.

Then twice I was able to getthem to transfer me to Level Two service, and both times I was on hold for overan hour, once someone picked up but then hung up on me and the second time I just gave up.

Finally I sent an email to them asking for a new router or to have someone call me who could help me fix my problem. Guess what response I got (yes I did get one) your equipment is out of warranty, you must buy a new one at a retail store and then we can help you.

This is the type of support that you give to a customer who has expanded your customer base and supported the company. No wonder the company’s IPO has been one of the worst in the history of stock offerings. This company just does not get customer service 101.

As a friend asked me, how I would compare their service to companies in Mexico and I have to say there is no company in Mexico that provides worse customer service than Vonage.

No comments: