Saturday, May 27, 2006

Less than One Week Until the Next Really Big Adventure

So it is less than one week before I start the migration from Northern Minnesota to the Colonial Highlands of Mexico.  Jo Ann and I have spent the past week getting our truck and the trailer ready to go and have just started packing.  Wow, I can’t believe how much stuff we want to take or looking at it from a different perspective, how little space you have with a Ford truck and a small trailer.

The new Trailer

We have tried to get everything broken down into groups based on priorities as to what is needed at our ranch and what will be hard to obtain down in San Miguel.  However, as we lay all of the stuff in the garage, I almost break down in tears as to what will fit and what I still want to bring.  Oh well, it is only possessions and you have to start to ask yourself, “is it really needed or can we get by without it”.

How am I going to pack all of this

Honda ATV

So the plan is to finish the packing by Wednesday this next week.  On Thursday we will take the dogs for one last hike of Bass Lake and then early Friday, Matt and I will be off from Ely to Minneapolis.  Although this is an exciting day for me, as I start my migration to my newly adopted country, it is also an important date for Matt as he is closing on his purchase of a new house back in Minneapolis.  It seems that we are all leaving Ely this year, all for different reasons, but the two of us are commencing on new journeys on the same day.

Then early Saturday morning Matt and I will start the journal from Minneapolis to Wichita and on Sunday we will continue down to San Antonio.  Assuming that we are on schedule that has us crossing the border in Laredo on Monday morning and if all goes well (which of course it will not) we will be in Rancho La Luz by Monday evening.

The scope and magnitude of this upcoming move is starting to hit me as I start to comprehend what a major change in our lives this move will be.  Although the move to Northern Minnesota was traumatic it was still to a location in the US and we did not have any language issues (ok yes they do speak funny up here but it is still an English dialect).  Now we are off to a different country where we will be the foreigners, where our grasp of the language is basic at best and our understanding of the culture is only evolving.  However that is part of what is attracting us to this latest chapter of our adventure that is called life.

So check back in over the next several months to get some updates on how we are progressing with our move to Mexico and how we are adapting to our new adopted country.

No comments: